BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The chapter book that almost brought me to tears...

Last semester when I took EDU 255, I had no idea that reading this children's book would influence me to include it in my classroom library. I stumbled across the book while reading in literature circles with my peers. After reading "Esperanza Rising" by Pam Munoz Ryan, I knew that middle grades ESL students would fall in love with it. The theme of the book is all about growing up and overcoming daily struggles of being in a new place. I immediately knew that my students would relate to it by being English Language Learners. I can only imagine all of the pain, excitement, and overwhelming feelings that ELL students have by being citizens in a new country. It's almost like dropping someone off in the middle of nowhere. You have to just pick up the pieces and move on; even if you don't want to.
I could use this book in many ways. I could use it to get my students to open up about there feelings of being in a new country and adjusting to change without losing their heritage. I could teach them that it's ok to find a true friend to release your emotions to. This chapter book is very powerful in those ways alone. I could also use it to celebrate their heritage. Maybe using it during Hispanic Heritage month would be ideal since the author is of Latino descent. I just cannot wait for the day to buy classroom copies for my kids...it will be an emotional ride...of one I am willing to take with them.

2 comments:

tduncan said...

I can tell through your words that this is a powerful book for you and one that you will refer to often. It is one of my favorites. It provides so many opportunities for good discussion and integration with non-fiction texts.

Blair said...

Esperanza Rising!! I had to read that for EDU 255, also. I loved this book! It is a great book, and I agree that it will work beautifully in an ELL classroom, Brittany!