BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Are you a poet?

My experience with poetry has been somewhat ok. I have never really jumped for joy when reading it, nor have I ever hated it. Back in elementary, middle, and high school, I was made to write poetry by the majority of my language arts and english teachers. I never got any fancy mancy award for them...just an occasional "good job". I guess that's why I never got into it. I felt like none of my teachers were really into it. However, I'm willing to pick it up and try it all over again.
My guess if I were to have a favorite style of poetry, it would be free verse. I like telling stories through my writing and having no restrictions or silly rules to follow would definitely motivate me to write poetry more. I also love, love, love funny kid poems. One of my classmates posted a great link to a poetry website the other day www.poetry4kids.com and I really loved it. There is some great funny poems about silly kid stuff up there. My favorite one was "My Excellent Education".
Hands down, I will definitely incorporate poetry into my classroom and I will fix the mistakes that my language arts teachers made. I won't just teach poetry because it is a part of the curriculum, but actually have fun and engage the students in it. It's a big difference from just reading poetry aloud like a monotone mannequin...than making the poetry really come to life...

0 comments: